Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Outdoor fun, Summer Evenings ...

Here is my project for the Linnie Blooms design team challenge project this month.  The challenge is to use Linnie Bloom Stencils/Masks and Canvas to show a favorite outdoor activity.  And one of my favorite parts of summer are the fun evenings that we spend outside with our kids and our friends.  I adore how the kids run around and ride bikes, play games and end up sitting on the driveway doodling with chalk and talking. 
 
  When I was overseas last fall, I found a stamp of dancing kids and fell in love with it!  It just portrays our summer evenings perfectly and these nights are definitely my favorite outdoor activity. So I made this canvas for the challenge, it is a little silly and a little whimsical!


 I started with Linnie Bloom Canvas Trees.  I used acrylic paint and 'spouncer' brushes to dab on the green paint.  I started with a lighter green.



Then I added some dabs of a little bit darker green.


I let the green dry and then added a yellow ocre and titan buff for the trunk and branches.


For the final layer I added dabs of a darker blue-green on top.


I took out a larger 10x13 canvas and painted around the edge with blue and white. 


As I was imagining the background, I just wanted to make a sunset.  So I took out some watercolor paper and my watercolors and tried to paint the colors of the evening.  While it was still damp I sprinkled on some salt for a fun texture effect.


Next, I worked on all the fun little bits that I wanted to add to the canvas.  I printed out the text on tissue paper, so that it would be almost transparent on the canvas.


I was also a little chicken and afraid to stamp right on the watercolor canvas.  So I stamped on the white tissue paper too.


 I added some fun scrapbook paper for bunting and glued the paper down to the canvas.


I put all the pieces together gluing them down with matte medium.


I used some leftover Linnie Blooms burlap for the bunting.  Seriously, don't throw out all your scraps, you never know when you are going to use it!  I added some doodles and shading to finish off the project!




So I hope you enjoy my summer evenings canvas.  I think we might just end up outside tonight!! 
- Karen

5 comments:

  1. WOW- what a super duper cool idea! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic sentiment, Karen. It's perfect for your canvas. The bunting and stamped image is so sweet and your trees turned out beautifully! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Love your canvas. Love that stamp - looks like everyone is having such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing trees of canvas.. and amazing details on the whole project

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Karen...your description of your summer nights makes me want to come and hang out as well...lol. I've never tried the salt technique before...you've inspired me to give it a try : )

    ReplyDelete